Downtown Butler Walking Tour

Stroll through the historic streets of downtown Butler and learn about the stories of the many people, businesses, and events that made Butler the place it is today.

Butler County Courthouse

It was mid-afternoon on an especially cold December day in 1883 when some people reported that they saw flames rising from the basement of the newly renovated courthouse. The flames quickly engulfed the structure and brought the Butler County…

Lafayette Building

Though the rest of the city has grown up around it, the Historic Lafayette Apartments building was Butler’s first skyscraper, originally the Butler County National Bank. Its facade is constructed in the French Renaissance Revival style, and the sign…

Our Silent Defenders

On July 4, 1894 in Butler, Pennsylvania, a crowd gathered in Diamond Square for the dedication of the Silent Defender’s Monument. There to accept the monument was Captain George W. Fleeger, who spoke these words: “This monument which we to-day…

Covenant United Presbyterian Church

On March 8, 1803, the founding fathers of Butler County plotted ground designed for a church lot. The county seat designated this space for a future congregation. The First Presbyterian Church, or Covenant United Presbyterian Church as it is known…